Thursday, August 04, 2005

Responsive State Reps

I posted recently that my wife got into a car accident and praised the auto body shop that did the work on our minivan. Well, it is now my time to rant. Part of the expense of the accident is this thing called "betterment". Something that I think is just wrong for someone that did not cause the accident to pay. I felt so strongly about it that I actually sent an email to my State Representative, Rep. Charles Murphy, the text of the email is below. What I am upset about is that I emailed him back on July 1st; it has been over a month and he never responded to my email. Not even an auto response from one of his staffers saying that he received the email.

I would like to hear what you other bloggers think about this? Is this something that is worthy of losing votes? Does anyone know what Rep. Murphy’s record on responding to his constituents is? Thanks all for your input.

Recently (6/27/2005) my wife got into an auto accident. Thankfully my wife sustained what seem to be minor injuries and my two boys were fine. I won't go into all of the detail of the accident but it was deemed not to be my wife's fault. I contacted my insurance company and they sent out an adjuster to examine my van. After getting back the estimates of the damages there were two items listed as betterments, which I am responsible for. It is these betterments that I am writing you about.

The explanation I got on the betterments was that there was already wear and tear to those items and that they were replacing them with new items and therefore I would have to pay the difference for that cost. That would make sense to me if the accident were my wife's fault. I was not planning on going out and replacing the tire anytime soon and because of the accident (no fault of our own) I am forced to, how does that then become my responsibility to pay? The logic of the betterments also starts a slippery slope for what insurance companies are responsible for. My entire van has wear and tear on it, is the next step for the insurance companies to prorate the entire vehicle claiming all of the work being done as betterments?

We in Massachusetts pay one of the highest insurance rates in the US. I think my family and I have paid into the insurance system (both of us level 9 drivers) more than enough. The entire idea of someone not at fault having to pay betterments is wrong and just another way the insurance companies are nickel and diming the consumer. I would appreciate you looking into this.

Sincerely,


Technorati Tags: